Friday, November 6, 2009

Press on Toward the Goal


Well,


Goal #1 of finishing raking leaves doesn't seem like it's going to happen. My back was KILLING me yesterday, making me quite grouchy, I may add. OK, my back didn't actually "make" me grouchy, but you know what I mean. It actually feels 90 % better this morning, but hubby won't let me finish raking because he doesn't want a broken wife on his hands. In the past, I would have been stubborn & done them anyway, just to prove I could, but I think I will submit & let him finish them. Which wouldn't be so bad, except I feel like I haven't seen him all week & I miss him & I wanted to be able to enjoy all day tomorrow, NOT doing yard work. Oh well.....such is life. So, goal #1 is kaput.


Goal #2 of waking early to exercise (after raking was done) is also kaput until my back is 100%. But, I am going to try my best to take a walk after hubby gets home so I will at least get some exercise.


Goal #3 I have no excuses, but I am not doing tremendously well. I have been waiting until I am hungry to eat breakfast, which is a start, but I have not been doing so great the rest of the day. There have been other small gains, though. I have been having homemade hot cocoa instead of ice cream or other desserts, which has fewer calories & is actually somewhat nutritious when made from scratch. Not a ton of sugar or calories & lots of calcium. And, I haven't been having a snack before bed. So, I am definitely doing better, but not fabulous. So, today I will concentrate on goal #3...especially since it's the only thing I really can control today because of my uncooperative back. My strategy is to keep very busy, so I won't think about eating as much.


I am reminded of what my small group is studying in Philippians (3:13-14), when Paul wrote: "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Paul is talking about his spiritual growth, of course, but I can apply that to this goal as well. I will never reach bodily perfection, nor will I reach perfection as far as self-control & discipline goes. BUT, I can't use that as an excuse to not set high goals for myself. If I don't set any goals, I will never achieve any of them, right? And, even though I have failed time & time again....I can't fall into the trap of looking behind me at my past failures. I must press on. Today is a new day. For me, for you, for us all. Today, I will do my best to reach this goal. With God's help & much prayer, I will win the victory over food.


Blessings, Dianna

1 comment:

Cassidy :) said...

Raking. Ahh.
My post about raking is slightly more mediphoric, although yours was better.