Monday, March 31, 2008

Why am I doing this



Last night our church hosted a benefit dinner for the daughter of one of our members who has cancer. I had a leadership role & it was a lot of work mentally over the last month or so & physically. I thought it went pretty well, considering we've never done anything like it & most of the helpers had little to no experience serving. And, I think we helped raise a boat load of $$ to help defray the costs that are associated with having a young child that needs constant care. I had been up since 4:00 that morning & going all day until I got home around 9:00. I was tired, my neck was stiff, voice strained & a bit achy. This morning, I woke up at 5:30, fully expecting to feel like a train ran over me & I really didn't. I'm still tired & my neck is still a tiny bit stiff, but otherwise I feel fine. And, as I was praying & reading my bible this morning, it really just hit me why I'm doing this whole eating less/losing weight/exercising/not being lazy thing. It's so I can do whatever it is God calls me to do. I realized that, about 6 months ago, I might not have had the endurance to do what I did yesterday without feeling like absolute death. The whole title of my blog: "fit for the race" really says it all. Last night was such an encouragement to me that I'm on the right track & need to persevere. I want to be able to say "Yes, Lord!" to absolutely anything He asks...even if it's not physical, the better physical health I have, the better I can handle all sorts of things. I never want to meet my maker and have Him say, "I had this good work for you to do, but you couldn't do it because of...." It just gives me a fresh perspective...when I choose to satisfy the desires of my flesh...ie eating too much, being physically lazy...I am basically choosing myself over others. I want to be the best servant I can be & it doesn't just start with some big ministry, it starts by training myself to have self-control, to have discipline & work consistently at things, by putting the big picture front & center. What a good reminder that it's not about me at all. Above all else, what I desire is to hear someday, "Well done my good and faithful servant". I heard it said that how we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. So true. If I can consistently learn to live a life filled with good habits concerning "little" things..., I will have let God train me to the point where I'll be ready when He has "big" things for me to do. Exciting news about your friend, Leah!!!!

God bless, Dianna

1 comment:

Leah P said...

Isn't so good to realize when you are really on the right track. God always finds a way to reassure us of what we are doing. You did an excellent job last night and I think that if anyone else where in charge it could have been a disaster. You are an incredible woman and an awesome friend Dianna. Love you!