Friday, November 16, 2007

Be Still and Know that I am....BORED????


Day #4:


Hello lovely people. Yet another good day. I increased my exercise & am feeling it a bit, but am not too sore. I tried something revolutionary (to me) today: wait to eat until I am actually hungry. Hhmmmmm....there's a novel idea? Typically, I would wake up (7:30-8:00ish), make the kids breakfast, have a coffee & bagel or something while I check my e-mail whether I'm hungry or not. The kids are usually hungry by 11:00, because they grow a foot a day (well, my oldest does...she oughta play basketball). Again, whether I'm hungry or not, I tend to eat with them, or at least at the same time. We all eat dinner together nightly, because I think it's important, but I tend to run away from the kids at breakfast or lunch. Heehee. Maybe other stay-at-home moms or dads can relate? I love my kids, but I do need my mommy time, or else I become grouchy mommy. And then, I usually have dinner on the table when hubby comes home from work, around 5 ish. Again, I eat whether I am hungry or not. That, of course, doesn't include the afternoon snack (s) or the dessert I tend to have (by myself) after the kids have gone to bed. Oh NO!!!! I think I am a closet food-a-holic!! Many times at a function, if I'm trying to be "good", I won't have dessert, because I know I'll still want it later. How silly is that?

Anyway, so I determined to not eat until I actually felt physical hunger. I ate a normal breakfast at 9:30, lunch at 2:00 & I still (6:30) haven't eaten dinner (though I fed my family, which was kind of weird...I did sit with them, though). I was all prepared for those temptations to come & praise God, they were easily managed with a few "bullet prayers" throughout the day. But, here's the problem: I was so BORED!!!! I did what I do on a typical Friday (taught the girls, cleaned the house a bit, started preparing my bible study for the best small group ever :) and other duties), but I had a lot more free time on my hands than normal & I really didn't know what the heck to do with myself. That may not seem like a problem to anyone else, but to me that shows that 1) I often turned to food just to DO something & 2) I don't know how to be still. This is not a surprise to me, really. I've always been a restless spirit, but it's kind of pathetic, too. No wonder I am typically all stressed out....I don't know how to relax. I need to learn how to: "Be still and know that I am God."


I love to praise the Lord, I love to read His word, I spend time in prayer, for myself & others, but I have still never really learned to just "be still" with the Lord. My mind is always racing 1,000 miles an hour & every time I try, the most ridiculous things pop into my head. Everything from what I need to do next week, to the answer to a trivia game I played last week (I get those answers in my sleep, too...very helpful). So, I guess that's something else I need to work on. I could certainly use my wonderful husband as a role model for this area: he'll just be sitting in the chair & I'll ask, "what are you thinking about?" and he'll reply, "nothing" & mean it!!! Oh, how I would love to sit and think about nothing. Really.

God bless you all, Dianna

2 comments:

Kris! said...

Dianna, what a great job on your blog and your life changes! Where do you get all the cool pictures? You're a prolific writer, too. Keep it up--that's the challenge!

Lanette said...

My hubby, too, always says he's thinking about 'nothing' and I am left to ponder how that is possible! May be it's a guy thing...

Lanette