Thursday, December 20, 2007

Contentment



It's 10:00 & I have just finished eating my dinner of some left-over pasta salad & a few crackers with cream cheese. I had some veggies an hour ago, too. I was just munching when I looked at my plate & chuckled at the odd choice. I am enjoying SO much the freedom I am experiencing at not following man-made rules about eating these days, or obeying my own flesh. I was hungry, didn't want a big meal because it's late & so I just opted for a bit of whatever was in the fridge. Before I would never have considered what I just ate a real meal, but it did the trick. I'm realizing that I am learning (in this area at least) the secret to contentment. The apostle Paul wrote this in Phillipians 4:11-13:


"..... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."


Paul was beaten to the point of death numerous times, unjustly imprisoned all the time & endured other hardships for the sake of Christ. He often went days without food & yet he claimed to have been content. How? Christ was his life. Christ was his food & drink. I am not saying I am anywhere near being content in all areas (although it's something I want to strive towards), but I really do feel I'm headed there in the area of food. For me, to be content with whatever food is available is HUGE!!! I can't tell you the # of times I have sent my poor hubby on late-night junk food runs to satisfy my cravings. I am so bizarre, because I wouldn't often keep stores of junk food in the house...because I knew I couldn't control myself & didn't want my kids to have it....but, I'd send him out 2 or more nights a week for all sorts of junk. To my credit, he never resisted & usually would get himself something as well. Sometimes he'd even offer to go before I asked. I used to joke & call him my "enabler", because I never once went myself. I don't think I've ever bought myself a single little Debbie, but I've probably eaten 1,000 in my life time. No, honey (if you're reading this), I'm not blaming you, you cute thing:) Those junk runs are really rather pathetic. Another embarassing tidbit for you all.


Now, I am learning to be content with what I have on hand. And it's not that I haven't had any junk, but I haven't been ridiculous or secretive about it. In fact, I am still working on the small bag of chocolates I bought over a month ago. That has NEVER happened.


I am excited to see this freedom of learning to be content carry over in every area of my life. Imagine having true joy & peace in your heart no matter what your circumstances?


Love you all. Good job, Leah :) Dianna

1 comment:

Leah P said...

I'm so glad to have you Dianna. Last night I was talking to hubby about his little "issue" that prevented him from coming to the recital. And I noticed that a lot of what I was saying was something that you said to me or in a blog. You are such a good example. I know your not perfect but that is what makes an person who I would look to. I get to see you deal with your issues and succeed. As I am reading this, I am eating my lunch and I am remembering to slow down so it will register. Its such a simple concept but it is so much harder than I would have ever thought.