Tuesday, December 4, 2007

RESIST!!



Well, temptation came in the oddest place today...a chicken pot pie. I made one for dinner tonight & it was exactly what I wanted....warm & homey...comfort food. I had a REALLY difficult time not having more than I needed. I actually put another bite in mouth & ended up spitting it back out in a napkin. I know that sounds extreme, but I just knew that bite would lead to another & another & then another piece entirely & then who knows? I actually heard the words "the devil will flee"...not audibly, but in my heart. It was such a clear demonstration to me that God is fighting this battle for me & He is stronger than any temptation. Those words are from James 4:7: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." It's so true, too. Once he knows you're not going to cave...whether it's overeating or something else, he will leave you alone. It doesn't mean he won't try again, but I'm learning to fight one battle at a time. He really did flee. I just left the kitchen & did some laundry & when I came back to the kitchen to do the dishes, the other half of the pie was still there, but I was no longer tempted. God is so much stronger than EVERYTHING!!!


Later, I was trying to figure out why the temptation was so overpowering. I mean, the potpie was good, but I resisted the chocolate fountain with little effort. I think it was because I didn't wait for real hunger to come. I've been pretty much waiting for my tummy to growl before I eat, but I didn't this time, because if I didn't eat supper then, I would have had to wait until 9:00 or so when I got back home. Maybe I should have waited, I don't know. I wasn't even close to real hunger. I need to learn not to be afraid of hunger. No one ever died from skipping a meal.


Anyway, I was so happy God gave me the power to resist. It's just a reminder that I really can't do this on my own & need to be constantly relying on Him.


Jane.....to heck with sugar free or anything free. Calling anything God made "off-limits" no longer makes sense to me. Where in the bible does it say carbs are bad, or fat is bad, or sweets are bad? God's love is often described as sweeter than honey, right? I'm not saying that's all you should eat, but we all tend to put all these arbitrary restrictions on our food & it's just silly. I've been guilty of that in a big way. Anyway, I'm glad the posts are helping a bit. I'll continue to pray for you. God bless you all, Dianna

No comments: